20th Century Fox’s reboot of the Fantastic Four franchise has quietly moved along in the background, escaping the kind of attention that the juggernaut properties have received in recent months. But an interesting piece of information has just come to light thanks to Emma Watts’ recent comments about the studio’s upcoming superhero slate.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Fox’s President of Production spoke of the risk – and the confidence – in appointing Trank to head the re-imagining. “We’re making a big bet for 2015 with The Fantastic Four and director Josh Trank,” she said. “To me, the key is the originality of the filmmakers and the choices they make. Josh is another really interesting example, who is using the vision he gave us in Chronicle to reinvent a franchise he’s loved his whole life.”
Trank’s only previous big-screen experience was with the successful independent Chronicle, a superhero film in the form of found footage. When asked about whether the style will carry into Fantastic Four, Watts interestingly said that it “can’t not have that feel.”
“That’s his talent, that’s what he does, and that’s what excites him about it,” she explained. “It is a really interesting young cast, and he is the magnet that’s brought them all together.”
The young cast mentioned are Michael B. Jordan (Human Torch), Miles Teller (Mr Fantastic), Kate Mara (Invisible Woman), and Jamie Bell (The Thing). Jordan previously worked with Trank on Chronicle, which is looking more and more like an influence on the new adventure for the first family of Marvel.
Trank has recently been named as a director for one of the Star Wars spin-off movies, but before that his attention will remain on this reboot project, currently due in cinemas on June 19, 2015.